Monday, August 16, 2010

Thousand Islands

Last week, we took a day trip to Thousand Islands. I hadn't visited since I was a kid and didn't remember anything about the place, so I forced asked my husband to take us.

We took a boat tour of what they called Millionaire's Row. Oh my goodness, the homes were beautiful!
Here are just a few beauties:
(Please ignore that gentleman's head "gracing" my photos)





We also took a tour of Boldt Castle on Heart Island. Everything about this place was amazing, from the castle to the gardens. Wanna see? Come along with me, but first, let me give you some background.

George C. Boldt had this castle built in the late 1800s as a testimony of love to his wife, Louise.

The castle has 6 stories & I believe 127 rooms.

The castle was 95% completed when tragedy struck. Mrs. Boldt died. As a result, work on the castle stopped immediately and was never completed.

The castle was never occupied.

The Thousand Islands Bridge Authority assumed ownership of the castle in 1977 and began restoration.

Mr. Boldt gave 3 conditions when he relinquished ownership to the Bridge Authority--

--Since his darling wife never got to see the finshed castle, no one would. It could be restored only up to 95%, he never wanted it completed.

--Since his wife never got to live in the castle, no one was to ever spend the night in the castle.

--Every cent made by opening the castle to visitors was to be put back into the restoration project. (I believe its been over 2 million dollars so far.)

Come take a look:







I was so awe struck by some of these rooms, I nearly lost my breath.



Look at the work on the walls.




This would have been Mrs. Boldt's bedroom.



The grand staircase.




Apparently, the island was originally named Hart Island, but because this castle was a testimony of love for his wife, he had the spelling changed to Heart Island. I couldn't believe the amount of heart details that were found from the flowers to the architecture. Even the bedside lamp in Mr. Boldt's bedroom had heart-shaped crystals hanging from it.




The stained glass ceiling was incredible!


(notice the heart shapes)

This was built to house the power to the island (can you believe it?)



So I thank you for coming along with me on my day trip to the Thousand Islands and Boldt Castle. Hope you enjoyed it!

Gina
Gina

Welcome! I'm Gina. Like the header says, this blog is all about home, food and life..

7 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful pictures and wow, I loooove that mantle!!

    My dad took my brother and me to 1000 Islands when I was about 12 and I remember loving it! We rented a little boat and cruised around all day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So which mansion did you buy?? Gorgeous pics!

    xo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible....It looked like Duke university the outside parts. So sweet all the hearts that surround the areas....really neat tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina,
    What a beautiful place and the story of the castle...so romantic but a little sad. The castle is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for the tour. Hope you're doing well my dear friend. Have a wonderful new week.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I LOOOOVE this post!! I love when you take me on a tour of somewhere I've never known that I wanted to go see!! hehe
    That castle is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I LOVE that you associate me with Gwen!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina that castle is amazing and so sad. What a beautiful testimony to how much one man could love any one person. So dreamy:)

    Blessings,
    Shanna
    www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

    ReplyDelete

My Blog Designer- Linda

Follow Along On Instagram